Harland San Diego Property Management
Get Started Today by Filling Out Our New/Current Client Information Sheet
Call Us for an Instant Property Management Quote
858-367-0343
Harland Property Management BBB Business Review
San Diego Residential Property Management
San Diego Apartments & Multi Unit Property Management
San Diego Vacation Rental Management
San Diego HOA Management
Home » Harland Property Management » Dealing With Mold in Rental Properties

Things Landlords Should Know About Mold

The development of mold in rental properties is one of the most insidious problems that a landlord may have to cope with. Not only does mold cause property degradation but it can also cause health problems to tenants if there is long-term, daily exposure. As a San Diego property management company, we know too well the serious consequences of not dealing with mold in a timely manner.

Mold Can Severely Damage a Rental Property

If water damage, leakage, or moisture accumulation from another cause occurs in a home or apartment, this can lead to the ultimate destruction of the property, because mold that is untreated in a residence can cause the building materials to rot. The majority of materials used to manufacture buildings supports the growth of mold, so it is important to treat mold thoroughly and completely at the first indication that it has begun growing.

Mold Can Be Cleaned

Whenever possible, mold can be cleaned from an area by removing the materials that have growths on them and replacing them with new materials. In the most extensive contamination situations, however, condemnation of the building is a better option than cleanup. Because of the risk of this, landlords need to stay on top of the health of their properties and check them thoroughly after every major storm or flood that is experienced in the area.

Mold can be very dangerous to people living in a rental house

Mold can be very dangerous to people living in a rental house, condo or apartment building. Mold growth can produce spores and mycotoxins, which can exacerbate allergies and asthmatic conditions. They can cause sinus and respiratory conditions and also irritate the mucous membranes. Those whose immune systems are not strong may breathe in the mold spores and suffer adverse health consequences as a result. Skin and lung infections can occur, as can fungal infections that take over the person’s entire body.

At very high levels, human exposure to the mycotoxins in mold can be deadly. That is why, it’s important for landlords to thoroughly inspect their rental properties before renting them to prospective tenants. It’s highly recommended that property owners regularly check their rental properties for signs of mold and avoid any damaging financial consequences.